When you just can’t find something in OCLC or DOCLINE, try one of these resources.
- AcqWeb’s Directory of Publishers and Vendors — If you know the publisher of the title you’re looking for, try this gateway to publishers’ websites, many of which contain searchable databases of their publications.
- AgNIC — Agriculture Network Information Center provides a searchable database for agricultural information available on the Internet.
- AGRICOLA — Bibliographic database of agricultural literature from the National Agricultural Library.
- All the JAS: Journal Abbreviation Sources — A registry of web resources that list or provide access to the full title of journal abbreviations.
- The British Library — Search the British Library Public Catalogue, the Document Supply Catalogue, or specialized collections.
- Center for Research Libraries — Search the CRLCATALOG, or specialized catalogs for foreign dissertations, foreign newspapers, and ethnic press (periodicals and newspapers published by ethnic groups in North America).
- China/Asia On-Demand Search
- Chronicling America
- CiNII: Scholarly and Academic Information Navigator — Produced by the National Institute of Informatics, Japan. This is a database service that enables searching of information on academic articles published in academic society journals or university research bulletins, or articles included in the National Diet Library’s Japanese Periodicals Index Database.
- CISTI Online Catalogue — Search the Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information catalog by author, title, subject, keyword, or standard number.
- ERIC — Educational Resources Information Center. Includes ERIC search and thesaurus. Some items available full-text through this site.
- The European Library — Gateway to European National Libraries
- Gateways and Union Catalogs – National libraries and archives internal page.
- GBV — Common Library Network of the German States
- Index Theologicus — citations to documents from over 600 theological journals, Festschriften , and congresses (Universität Tübingen)
- Library of Congress Gateway to Library Catalogs
- Library of Congress Catalog
- LibWeb — Library pages from over 135 countries
- Mathematical Reviews’ Abbreviations of Names of Serials — Don’t know what Abh. Braunschweig. Wiss. Ges. stands for? This is the place to find out. Caveat: it’s only mathematical and scientific titles. Also available as a PDF.
- Medline LocatorPLUS
- National Libraries and Archives – internal page
- National Technical Information Service catalog — Contains 450,000 government publications issued by NTIS since 1990. Also contains links to searchable databases for specialized NTIS collections such as Business, Environmental, or Military Publications and Manuals.
- National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections — from the Library of Congress
- PubMed — Access to over 11 million citations from MEDLINE and additional life science journals. See also the PubMed Citation Matcher.
- USGS Publications Warehouse — the advanced search feature allows you to locate or verify USGS publications by report series, number, author, year, and can be helpful in locating a monograph title if you have only a series title and number.
- Alapage.com — French purveyor of books, CDs, DVDs.
- Alibris — Online bookseller
- BOL.com — Dutch equivalent of Amazon
- DealTime — Click on “Books” tab. Gives book prices for multiple booksellers so you can comparison shop.
- Genamics JournalSeek — Database of freely available journal information.
- Google Books
- Google Scholar
- ILL-L — When all else fails, post a message to the discussion list asking people for help with a citation. Put “help with citation” in the subject line, and be sure to indicate what sources you have already checked.
- LibDex — worldwide directory of library homepages and web-based OPACs.
- Northern Lights Publishers’ Catalogues
- Open WorldCat
Patents Resources and Tools
Looking for a patent? Try one of these but be sure to comparison shop – some are free and others charge for service.