It’s more important than ever to keep abreast of the latest developments in ILL! Whether you’re looking for some of the classic titles in the field or new books, journals or other print sources, this page provides information on publications that are of interest to resource sharing professionals and practitioners.
Interlibrary Loan Journals
- Journal of Interlibrary Loan, Document Delivery & Electronic Reserve
- Interlending and Document Supply
Other Library Journals
- American Libraries
- ARL Spec Kits
- College and Research Libraries
- IFLA Journal
- Information Today
- Journal of Academic Librarianship
- Journal of Access Services
- Journal of the Medical Library Association
- OCLC Systems & Services
- Public Libraries
- Reference and User Services Quarterly
- Baker, Shirley K. and Jackson, Mary E. The Future of Resource Sharing. Haworth Press, 1995.
- Boucher, Virginia. Interlibrary Loan Practices Handbook. Chicago: American Library Association, 1996. If you’re new to ILL, read this before anything else.
- Bradford, Jean, and Brine, Jenny. Interlending and Document Supply in Britain Today. Chandos, 2006. This book is an excellent summary of ILL in the UK.
- Breeding, Marshall. Resource Sharing in Libraries: Concepts, Products, Technologies, and Trends. ALA TechSource, 2013. Simultaneously published as Library Technology Reports, vol. 49, no. 1 (Jan. 2013).
- Buston, Roxann. Interlibrary Loan in College Libraries. Chicago: American Library Association, 1993. CLIP Note #16.
- Chang, Amy and Jackson, Mary E. Managing Resource Sharing in the Electronic Age. AMS Press, 1997.
- Croft, Janet B. Legal Solutions in Electronic Reserves and the Electronic Delivery of Interlibrary Loan. NY: Haworth Press, 2004.
- Goodson, Carol. Providing Library Services for Distance Education Students: A How-To-Do-It Manual. NY: Neal-Schuman, 2001.
- Higginbotham, Barbra Buckner, and Bowdoin, Sally. Access versus Assets: A Comprehensive Guide to Resource Sharing for Academic Librarians. Chicago: American Library Association, 1993.
- Hilyer, Lee Andrew. Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery in the Larger Academic Library. NY: Haworth Press, 2002. Published simultaneously as Journal of Interlibrary Loan, Document Delivery, and Information Supply, vol. 13, nos. 1-2.
- Hoffman, Gretchen M. Copyright in Cyberspace 2: Questions and Answers for Librarians. NY: Neal-Schuman, 2005.
- Jackson, Mary E., with Bruce Kingma and Tom Delaney. Assessing ILL/DD Services: New Cost Effective Alternatives.
- Kingma, Bruce R., and Irving, Suzanne. The Economics of Access versus Ownership: The Costs and Benefits of Access to Scholarly Articles via Interlibrary Loan and Journal Subscriptions. Haworth Press, 1996.
- Library Information and Resource Sharing: Transforming Services and Collections, ed. Beth Posner. Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited, 2017.
- Lipscomb, Carolyn E. Information Access and Delivery in Health Sciences Libraries. Scarecrow Press, 1996.
- Mitchell, Eleanor, and Walters, Sheila A. Document Delivery Services: Issues and Answers. Information Today, 1995.
- Morris, Leslie R. Interlibrary Loan Policies Directory. 7th Ed. NY: Neal-Schuman, 2002.
- Nyquist, Corinne. Resource Sharing Today: A Practical Guide to Interlibrary Loan, Consortial Circulation, and Global Circulation. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2014.
- Rupp-Serrano, Karen. Licensing in Libraries: Practical and Ethical Aspects. NY: Haworth Press, 2005.
- Russell, Carrie. Complete Copyright: An Everyday Guide for Librarians. Chicago: American Library Association, 2004.
- Verminski, Alana, and Blanchat, Kelly Marie. Fundamentals of Electronic Resources Management. ALA Neal-Schuman, 2017.
- Weaver-Meyers, Pat L., Stolt, Wilber A., and Fong, Yem S. Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery and Customer Satisfaction: Strategies for Redesigning Services. Haworth Press, 1996.
- Weible, Cherie L., and Janke, Karen L. Interlibrary Loan Practices Handbook. 3rd ed. Chicago: American Library Association, 2011.
Proceedings and Publications from Specialized Sources
Association of Research Libraries
- Interlibrary loan, Document Delivery and Resource Sharing Bibliography
- IFLA Publications
- Document Delivery and Resource Sharing Section. Includes archives of the section’s newsletters, meeting minutes, and annual reports.
- Conference Proceedings
Indiana Resource Sharing Taskforce
Interlibrary Loan Application Standards Maintenance Agency
- Bibliography. Lists web-accessible publications on the ISO ILL standard.
National Library of Canada
- Archive of Network Notes. Topics include ILL protocol, digital library projects, and metadata.
Northwest Interlibrary Loan and Resource Sharing Conference
- Past Programs with links to presentation slides, etc.
- OCLC Resource Sharing Facts and Statistics. Includes OCLC’s annual list of most requested titles.
Primary Research Group
Rethinking Resource Sharing Initiative
Shuh, Barbara. The Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Protocol.